Lactulose, which is not broken down in the stomach and small intestine, begins its action in the large intestine where it is broken down primarily by intestinal bacteria. In this degradation process, lactic acid is produced; this in turn supports the growth of intestinal bacteria important for human and hinders the growth of putrefactive bacteria. Thus normalization of intestinal flora (eubiosis) results. In addition, the increase in metabolic degradation products in the blood, which cannot be sufficiently detoxified by the liver, is reduced. Lactulose improves the transter of calcium salts and phosphates from the intestines, stimulates intestinal peristalsis and leads to softening of the stool. It also leads to healing and improvement in gum diseases through normalization of metabolic processes in the parodontal region. Even long-term use of Avolac does not lead to habituation and thus there is no loss of efficacy.
Avolac Solution: Avolac (Lactulose) is an oral solution containing Lactulose USP 3.35 g / 5 ml.
1. Constipation (chronic constipation):
In every case of chronic constipation, initial treatment should consist of a diet rich in fiber (vegetables, salads, fruits, supplements of linseeds, wheat germ etc.) a generous amount of liquids and much physical exercise.
Avolac is only to be taken when these measures prove insufficient.
2. Intestinal flora disturbances: In damage to intestinal flora, following therapy with broad spectrum antibiotics, gall bladder diseases and intestinal diseases (colttis, diverticulosis, megacolon etc.)
3. Increased blood ammonia levels (hyperammonemia in hepatopathy, portal systemic encephalopathy, precoma, coma).
4. Diseases of the gums and the parodontic apparatus (paradontosis, bleeding from the gums, inflammation, dystrophy).
Dosage should be followed accurately unless otherwise specified.
1. In constipation (chronic constipation): Due to the fact that every organism responds differently to Avolac, each patient must determine his/her own optimal dose in the course of time. Adults: Initially 3-6 tea-spoons daily; In long-term therapy 1.5-6 tea-spoons daily, Children up to 14 years: Initially 3 tea-spoons daily; in long-term therapy 1-2 tea-spoons daily, Infants and toddlers: initially 1-2 tea-spoons daily; in long-term therapy 1 tea-spoon daily.
With Avolac a prompt laxative effect may be achieved by drinking a mixture of 3-9 tea-spoons in 1/8-1/4 liter water, coffee, tea, fruit juice, or milk on an empty stomach after getting up in the morning. Normally, defecation takes place approximately 2 hours later in the form of a fluid pulpy mass (increased defecation reflex).
2. In damaged intestinal flora (e.g. following long-term antibiotic treatment): Adults: 1-2 tea-spoon daily, Children: 1 tea-spoon daily.
3. For reduction of blood ammonia level (In hepatopathy): A maximum of 60-100 g Lactulose daily, that is. 18-30 tea-spoons.
4. In precoma: A maximum of 100 g Lactulose daily, that is 30 tea-spoons Avolac spread over the course of the day.
5. Diseases of the gums and the parodontic apparatus (paradontopathy): Adults : 3-6 tea-spoons daily.
Hypersensitivity to either galactose and/ or lactose, galactose-free diet. Gastro-cardiac symptom complex (heart problems stemming from the gastro-intestinal tract), suspected intestinal obstruction.
Consult a doctor in case of pregnancy or side effects. Avolac contains a maximum of 11% galactose and a maximum of 2% tagatose. This is to be taken into account in patients requiring a galactose-free diet. Diarrhoea may occur in case of overdose. In such a case, Avolac use should be discontinued and care should be taken that the patient has an adequate supply of water and mineral. While undergoing therapy with Avolac, foods that cause flatulence and execessive intake of carbonated drinks should be avoided.
In treating dysbacteria (disturbances of intestinal flora), a periodic course of treatment with Avolac (6-8 weeks) is generally recommended. Only after this period of time can the desired change in the intestinal environment be achieved. If Avolac is taken with or after meals, the laxative effects is reduced and the dose must be increased. The stool regulating effect of Avolac may last several days in some patients. Thus Avolac needs only be taken every 2nd or 3rd day in such cases.
Occasionally flatulence can occur at the beginning of treatment, this is rapidly eliminated by reducing the dose and/ or taking the daily dose in several smaller individual portions spread over the course of the day. Overdosage can result in diarrhoea. In abuse: loss of electrolytes (primarilty Potassium):
The glycosidic effect of cardiac glycosides can be intensified by potassium deficiency in abuse.
Use in pregnancy & lactation: Studies show that Lactulose has no adverse effects. Decisions regarding use during pregnancy and lactation must be made by a registered physician.
Avolac Soultion: Each bottle contains 100 ml/200 ml Solution.
Aristopharma Ltd. is one of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies in Bangladesh. The company started its journey in 1986 with the honest promise to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the countrymen.
© 2023. Aristopharma Ltd. All rights reserved.